This didactic proposal is based on the educational value of Environmental education, paying special attention to such an important, valuable and limited resource as water. It is aimed at students in the second cycle of Primary Education with the aim of creating awareness and promoting strategies to take care of the water in our daily lives. We are used to letting the tap run when we brush our teeth or when we wash the dishes, or even to leave the tap running while the water heats up when we go to take a shower. Do you know what we could do with that water? Have you ever considered that it could be used to drink in case of shortage, to water plants or mop the floor? Do you know how many kilometers some children have to walk to find drinking water?
- Raise awareness regarding water use
- Reflect on how we could save water in our day to day
- Know the accessibility of water in other places
- Communicate through verbal and non-verbal language
- Develop imagination
- Work as a team and develop a spirit of solidarity
- Work on creativity
- Learning strategies of how to take care of limited resources in Earth
- Learn new vocabulary related to water and nature
- Grammatical structures: Water is important for, I should and I shouldn’t
- Practice numbers in English
- Learn the concept of water footprint
- Session 1: Assembly: How can we save water?
- Video: The water is important ?
- After that, the teacher split up the class into a group of 4 students. The pupils will make a brainstorming, suggesting ideas of how can they save water in their daily lives.
- Later, they will make a mind map
- Session 2 and 3: Children read a dialogue text.
- Later, they highlight the vocabulary they don’t know such as water pollution, waste or chemicals and some expressions.
- They will adapt the dialogue to have a role play in the classroom.
- Session 4: Good or bad?
- Students will have a card with actions related to the use of water in our daily lives such as 1.-take a shorter shower, 2.- leave the tap running meanwhile brushing my teeth, 3.-chose a shorter program for the washing machine, 4.-put in the laundry basket my clothes when I just used it once. They will classify the cards on the blackboard using I should or i shouldn’t
- Later, they will write these sentences on their notebooks
- Session 5: What is the water footprint and how much water do we need to make a t-shirt or to feed a cow and eat a good beaf steak?
- The students will play a game in which they have to put labels with numbers on the different objects they have brought to the classroom such as oranges, t-shirts, jeans, sneakers a slide of bread and say how much water they think is have been used to make food or textile.
- They will practice numbers in English as well
- Session 6: Children calculate the water footprint
- Session 7: Kahoot to practice vocabulary and structures from the unit
- Session 8: Children will explain their mind maps
- Mindfulness class